There’s good news and bad news this week if you live in Central Texas. First, the bad: it’s about a million degrees outside with barely a chance of rain. Now the good: all this hot weather is the perfect excuse to hang out by the pool and drink cucumber basil mojitos. Cucumbers are growing like crazy in our dry climate and there’s no chance of rain to spoil your pool party.
I know that’s pretty weak good news, but it’s hard to find a silver lining when there are no clouds in sight. I saw the 7-day forecast on the news this morning and had to chuckle, because all the triple digit temperatures barely fit into the graphic on screen!
Crazy, right? Luckily our local farmers are fighting the good fight and growing tons of delicious produce for us in the midst of this drought. Here’s what they’re sending our way in the Local Box:
- Peaches – Caskey Orchards
- Blueberries – Berry Best
- Pinto Beans – Gundermann Acres
- Onions – Gundermann Acres
- Assorted Squash – Massey Farm
- Indian Cucumber – My Father’s Farm
- Armenian Cucumber – Fruitful Hill Farm
- Mango – G&S Groves
- Eggplant – Gundermann Acres & Fruitful Hill Farm
- Basil – My Father’s Farm
- Red Potatoes – Gundermann Acres